Looking for Grace Notes

Monday, October 30, 2006

Good Morning

It’s so wonderful to be home! We were both actually able to sleep through the night which was lovely. Alex has been thrilled to have Tom home, although he tried to bite him when Tom got tired of having a twenty pound cat sleep on his chest. Alex can’t seem to decide if he wants to stay in a snit or just be lovable. When Tom took a shower this morning, Alex actually sat vigil with me in the bathroom. Alex hates the shower slightly more than he hates vets and paramedics so this has been interesting. And he proceeded to howl the entire time until Tom got out. I think Alex is having a harder time coping with the situation than I am.

The soonest the neurologist can see Tom is next Friday which is a bit frustrating but the receptionist said they are so booked up we were lucky to get in so soon. Tom will be off his Adderall meds this entire time so that should help us know if the seizures were caused by the meds not something else. I’m still holding out for news that he doesn’t have epilepsy. If he does we’ll get through, but it sounds so scary I just don’t want to imagine that for him.

Tom is still a bit frightened by the whole experience and hasn’t stopped talking about going back to school since we woke up. He’s not very good at being an invalid. I will try to get permission from the principals to drive him in for one class per school just so he can see the students and feel like he isn’t isolated from the world. Tom really wants the concert to go through and is grateful for everyone helping the bands. He is cleared to return to work next Monday and is hell bent he’ll be at the concert as is normal stressed out self. I have full faith in him that this will be the case.

In the mean time my job today is to write myself a list (I’m an organization freak) about what needs to be done and start making phone calls. Thank you for everyone who has sent me info about metro. It sounds like a great service so I’ll see what he needs paperwork wise to qualify. That would help me out on the afternoons as that’s the time that I have to be at City U rather than Dimmitt.

Denise, if you could get him to Jazz in the morning that would be wonderful. I can cover your gas or cook you dinner, what ever compensation works best for you (I’m also very good at cleaning bathrooms). I can pick Tom up from the school and bring him to Dimmitt and from Dimmitt back to Renton. I think there must be some higher power involved that let me luck out and end up having my internship at Dimmitt. I mean first of all, nobody ever gets placed at the first school on their priority list, and certainly never if it means turning out into a huge convenience transportation wise.

What I do need help with now is someone who can take him home from Renton and stay with him until I get home. I get home between 4:30-5:00. We’ve talked it over and Tom has offered private instrument lessons or tutoring in math in return to any student who could do this. I mean, he has to be home anyway where all our music supplies are, and he’s a whiz at math so these things he can do very easily. We don’t have much money wise, but can also cover that student’s or students’ gas for the trip. If anyone thinks they could do this, please let me know. This would start next week and run for the next six months. I know it’s a lot of ask and would be a lot for one person to do. If we could get a group together that could rotate, I don’t know, I’m just tossing this out right now because it’s all either of our sleepy brains have come up with so far. I can also barter cleaning, cooking, and I’m great at computer things in return it that would be better. Please let me know.

Otherwise, we’re going to take things easy today. Tom mumbled something about getting a new video game so I might see what’s out that he would like. Lesley lent us Monster House which we haven’t seen so we’ll watch that today also.