Looking for Grace Notes

Monday, November 06, 2006

Back in the saddle again…

Today was Tom’s first day back at school and everything went very well. His students couldn’t have been more wonderful and it was a joy to watch him interact with them. He’s very tired right now, but it’s the good kind of tired. We have the middle school concert tomorrow night and I expect it will be a lovely performance. The students have worked so hard and Tom and I couldn’t be more pleased with their dedication and heart. What I loved best was to see all the kids running up to me in the hallways or during first period yelling “Mr. Baugh is back!!!” I laughed every time because they all seemed so amazed. I have no idea how to express to them that this is what he lives for, what both of us live for. They would probably thing we’re strange, and that’s okay. I’ve never met a “normal” teacher so I think we’ll fit in just fine.

Today was my second day in middle school and I’m still having a blast. I’m sad that I’m only doing half-days now. It means I really only get to know the students in first period and only a half hour of second. Still, I have an extra full week in December to make up so I’ll get to spend time with all of the classes then which is definitely something to look forward to. Stephanie, my cooperating teacher is wonderful. I love her energy! She had the kids singing a song about the writing process today. I could really get into this sort of thing. :-)