Looking for Grace Notes

Friday, November 10, 2006

Change is good...

I am disgusted to tell you that we’ve been informed by Dr. Heide’s office that we just have to take our chances once Tom runs out of the anti-seizure pills (which is today). They cannot get us in to see another doctor until Wednesday (and doctor Heide is not responding to any pages) and suggested that instead of waiting for them to call us back we should have tried to call another neurologist. Yes, they had the nerve to suggest that all of this was my fault because I hadn’t taken the time to contact another neurologist because somehow I would psychically know that Dr. Heidi would not be available today. Regardless that I have talked to three hospitals today who have all said they cannot see Tom until Dr. Heide’s office releases his records which they don’t appear inclined to do. I don’t even know what to say. I’m so absolutely dumbfounded and furious right now there aren’t words. Dr. Heide’s office refuses to take responsibility because it’s not their job to find another doctor for him to see when their doctor cancels and we just need to take our chances (yes, those too were their words).

Happily, I just got a call from Dr. Vassler’s office (the head neurologist at Valley) prior to hitting the send buton for this entry that they have not only agreed to extend the prescription but will see Tom this Thursday. As an interesting side-note, the reason it took Dr. Vassler so long to get back to me was because (this was inferred by his office manager) we were not the only patients of Dr. Heide who were stuck and panicking today. And while I would like to say that I am a forgiving person above petty vindictiveness, I hope Dr. Heide’s illness is cutely annoying, nothing life-threatening of course but a nice case of boils under his big toe nails I think would be a appropriate form of Karmic payback.

So, that said we’ll be leaving shortly to pick up the prescription and to buy something chocolaty to celebrate.