Looking for Grace Notes

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Great news!

Hello everyone!

I have such wonderful news! Tom saw the doctor today and she’s absolutely marvelous! Not only did she actually listen to our worries but she validated them! Wow! She honestly feels that Tom’s seizures were probably the result of a bad reaction to a medication but she’s being cautious and has ordered an EEG scan for tomorrow. And I couldn’t believe how soon she was able to arrange for the scan. On top of that we have a follow up appointment with her the Monday after Thanksgiving. It’s so much more than we dared hope for! If the scan comes back clear she’ll wean him off the Keppra and two weeks after will test him again. If she still sees nothing we can conclude that he’ll most likely never have another! YAY!!!!!!!! The drawback is that Tom is not allowed to sleep tonight and will miss another day of class tomorrow. I know it worries him, he hates missing class and feels like he’s failing his students and I don’t know how to convince him otherwise because I know were I in his shoes I would feel the same. Still, I keep trying to remind him that he’s out for legitimate reasons and we’ll have two more quarters to make up for the absences to the students.


In other news, I taught my first lesson today to seventh graders and it was so exciting! I made some mistakes but overall was completely overjoyed by the experience! This age is so exciting and fun and I’m really happy at Dimmitt! Everyone has been so warm and kind and the students are an absolute kick! I can’t wait to have another go at it (hopefully minus the mistakes, or at least make some new ones for variety’s sake :-) ).


Alex is of course taking all this in stride. He’s currently snoring away on his favorite cushion. Although he woke up for a few minutes an hour ago to complain that his extra water bowl was out of bottled water. And I, being very conscious of my obviously subservient position in our household immediately filled the water bottled and tweaked his tail which resulted in him spending the next twenty minutes washing his unmentionables in my general direction. I love cats! :-)