Looking for Grace Notes

Monday, November 27, 2006

Doctor Update and Snow

Let it Snow!

7:00

Today we got the results from Tom’s EEG and they came through just fine. No sign of seizure activity whatsoever! Hooray! So we now have permission to wean him off the seizure meds and in a month he has a second EEG. If they still don’t see any activity the doctor said that while she can’t guarantee that he doesn’t have epilepsy, a clean scan certainly lowers the risk factor for future seizures. YAY!!!!


On an even brighter side, it snowed today. Not enough for a snowman but plenty enough to have the loudest, most exuberant snowball fight on the block. The snow made driving was a real adventure tonight as well. We left the house to make photocopies with clear skies and came out an hour later to snow and hail falling heavily. Thank heavens we have a jeep! We had no problems getting home but the same couldn’t be said for most of the drivers. We passed three cars that had spun out at Fred Meyer and the turn just before home was filled with cars and a jackknifed bus with full accordion set-up. It looked like the back of the bus was kissing the front which I imagine resulted in something akin to a religious experience for anyone sitting in the accordion section at the time. Needless to say, traffic was absolutely stopped both directions so we took a few more back-roads and although the route was slower, it was certainly safer!


As much as I love school, I’m really hoping for a snow day tomorrow. Our road is a rutted sheet of ice and I don’t relish trying to navigate the two hills between us and Dimmitt. That and a snow day means hell or high water I’m making a snowman, even if I have to borrow snow from the neighbors. It is a moral imperative! J


10:00

Update:

It’s snowing again but the wind is picking up so I’m not sure how much will actually stick. There’s something bizarre about looking out my office window to see the two palm trees loaded down with snow. I feel like all we’re missing are some strands of Christmas lights and we’d have an instant Corona commercial.


We just had to move my car indoors for safety. We’ve been watching cars trying to make it up our hill and end up sliding down to end up in our yard or the neighbors. This was all entertaining until one nearly hit my poor car moored in the driveway. So, we quickly dashed downstairs, cleaned out the garage, brushed the mounds of snow off the car and after three tries finally made it into the garage. Then we stood outside with some of our neighbors to watch more cars make a go at the hill. So far its cars 3, hill 14 but the night is young yet and I expect the hill will gain more casualties. What gets me are the people who rev their cars at the base and go shooting past the house at about 40 miles per hour only to slide back down (sideways no less) just as fast. I feel bad finding entertainment in this, but at least I’m not quite as bad as my across the street neighbors. Earlier this evening they put out a couple folding chairs on their front lawn and were taking bets on which cars would make it.